Sunday, January 31, 2010

Inspiration: The Fire Engine Book

You know how published authors always say to write, write, write and read, read, read the genre you are interested in?

Well, they are right. I don't have any problems writing -- but I've been focusing on the wrong genre. As I grew up, I forgot how much I loved children's books. I used to love to read to my youngest sister when she was little. I'm 13 years older.

I went away to college when she was 5, I think. Then I graduated and got a job. Finally, I had a child to read to when T Junior was born on May 27, 2008. I have read to him every single day since the day of his birth. He loves books, and he sits on my lap every night for exactly four of them.

His taste in books is starting to expand, and I can read some of my favorites to him that, before, didn't interest him: Click, Clack, Moo, and King Bidgood's in the Bathtub, and Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus.

Tonight, I was reading The Fire Engine Book. We both really enjoy this book, which I think was first published in 1950! The words describe actions and the illustrations are engaging.

While reading this evening, I really paid attention to the simplicity of the book. It's describing what happens on the way to a fire. Then at the fire: "Crank! Crank! Up go the ladders. Up go the firemen with their hoses!"

It's genius in how simple it is. It made me realize that I am overthinking it. And I had an idea, which I worked on before writing this post, thank you very much.

So read! Read your genre and get inspired!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Write something. Anything.