Friday, February 26, 2010

A Paying Gig

I got an e-mail from a friend and editor today. She works in the city's only daily newspaper and she offered me a freelance job.

I took it. The subject is fun, and I couldn't pass it up!

Hopefully, I won't get sidetracked for too long.

I did actually do something toward my picture book goal today. I took T Junior to the library and looked for books that he would love: anything with trucks, trains, cars, etc. But I didn't want to get the ones that just show the truck with the word underneath "excavator," you know? I wanted real picture books. An actual story.

But I also had another reason for getting these. I had an idea for a story a few days ago that I wrote down (very rough draft, very rough). It was inspired by my former job at truck (big rigs) company. I worked at the corporate office, but loved to visit the plant floor. So, I was looking for picture books about trucks or cars, just to see what's out there.

We found two great books!
T Junior wanted to read Who Is Driving? by Leo Timmers over and over again. We may have to buy this one.


And I loved Little Blue Truck by Alice Schertle, illustrated by Jill McElmurry. Fabulous story, engaging words and pictures.

It's  been a long time since I've been to the library to check out books. We'll definitely be back!

5 comments:

  1. I love the library with the kids. Some favorite car / truck ones in our family were My Truck is Stuck by Kevin Lewis and Rattle Trap Car by Phillis Root. Congrats on the paying gig... imagine, being PAID to write!! (Clearly it has been too long since this happened to me)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll have to check those out! We also like Duck in a Truck by Jez Albrough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the freelance gig! I love going to the library with the kids. We always get tons and tons of books. We all love books in our family.

    Liz H. Allen
    www.writingmommy.com

    ReplyDelete

Write something. Anything.