Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Historical Fiction Romantic Comedy?

I had to watch something at work today that was about the Gold Rush and I found it absolutely fascinating.

I realized something, too. I like history. I like how it explains things. "Oh, that's why it's that way." For example, I always wondered how the heck Rough and Ready got it's name. For real? Rough and Ready? But I learned it was a boomtown in frontier California and the miners gave towns "fitting" names. Very interesting.

And, when I really think about it, some of my favorite novels are set in significant historical events: Captain Corelli's Mandolin (the book, not the movie), Memoirs of a Geisha (again, the book), Cold Mountain (and yet again, the book), Atonement and all of Gail Tsukiyama's beautiful stories. Could I set a romantic comedy in history? I thought today.

Ron Howard did it with Bob and Howard Dolman's Far and Away, which is one of my favorite films even though Tom Cruise is in it, but it's pre-crazy Cruise so I feel okay about it.


So, it's not exactly a romantic comedy, but it has romance, adventure and some funny moments ("I do not wish to fight you"), and it's set around the Land Run of 1893.

Just a thought I wanted to throw out there...I really have no point.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Write something. Anything.